So, The Weekly Dose has recently been bi-weekly, at least for this last month, but I’m still trying to do it weekly if possible. I have a lot of other things going on that come before this blog, but I do like sharing some good music as often as I can. I usually put this plug at the bottom of each week’s post, but I don’t know if everybody makes it down that far, so if you’re enjoying the playlists that I post here, please let me know what you think in the comments, on Twitter, or on our Facebook page. I’d like to know what you liked, what you didn’t, and what songs you’d like to hear in the future! Also, thanks to those who have actually subscribed to this playlist on Spotify. We’ve been gaining a few every week.
The big event for this week, at least for me and thousands of others, is that Coachella starts this coming weekend. I’ll be at weekend two this year, and will be my 10th time attending the festival. It really is always my favorite time of the year. Even though I wasn’t initially as excited as I usually would be for the 2014 lineup, there are still dozens of acts that I’ll be seeing, some I’ve seen before (Beck, Arcade Fire), some I’ve been wanting to see for awhile (Little Dragon, Pet Shop Boys), and I’ve made some new discoveries this year as well.
Featured Artist Of The Week: Future Islands
When the lineup was released back in January, I recognized the name Future Islands, but I’m not really sure from where. I started hearing the first single from their latest album, “Seasons (Waiting On You)” on the radio a few weeks back, and it instantly became one of my favorite songs of the year. But it wasn’t until I saw this video of them performing the song on Letterman that I decided that it elevated them to a must-see at this year’s festival…
I’ve listened to their new album, Singles, a few times now and I’m still trying to figure out what it reminds me of. Lead singer Samuel T. Herring’s voice has an 80’s sound to it, but his smooth-to-growl/screaming vocals also remind me of Mike Patton from Faith No More.
The Weekly Dose 04-09-14
This week’s edition of The Weekly Dose is completely made up of acts playing this year’s Coachella Music and Arts Festival in Indio, CA. As usual, I’ve included two songs from our featured artist, Future Islands!
Update (07/15/14) : The playlist has now been updated with 40 tracks, and almost 3 hours of music, including not one but TWO versions of “Swingin’ Party” (the original by The Replacements, and the cover version by Lorde)!
1. Future Islands – Seasons (Waiting On You)
2. Arcade Fire – We Exist
3. Courtney Barnett – Avant Gardener
4. Calvin Harris – Feels So Close
5. Bombay Bicycle Club – Shuffle
6. Foster The People – Helena Beat
7. CHVRCHES – The Mother We Share
8. Holy Ghost! – Wait And See
9. Aloe Blacc – I Need A Dollar
10. Future Islands – Back In The Tall Grass
11. Haim – The Wire
12. Broken Bells – Vaporize
13. Flight Facilities – Crave You
14. Chromeo – Mama’s Boy
15. Classixx – All You’re Waiting For
16. Disclosure – When A Fire Starts To Burn
17. Empire Of The Sun – Walking On A Dream
18. The Afghan Whigs – Gentlemen
19. Dum Dum Girls – Rimbaud Eyes
20. Beck – Waking Light
21. Pixies – Here Comes Your Man
22. The Knife – Heartbeats
23. The Replacements – Swingin’ Party
24. MS MR – Hurricane
25. Kate Nash- Merry Happy
26. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (f/ Beck and Mike D) – Flavor
27. Pet Shop Boys – West End Girls
28. MGMT – Congratulations
29. Kid Cudi – Mr. Rager
30. Sleigh Bells – Riot Rhythm
31. Lorde – Swingin’ Party
32. Temples – Shelter Song
33. Solange – Losing You
34. Washed Out – Feel It All Around
35. Neutral Milk Hotel – In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
36. Little Dragon – Ritual Union
37. Surfer Blood – Demon Dance
38. Poolside – Do You Believe?
39. J Roddy Walston – Brave Man’s Death
40. Blood Orange – You’re Not Good Enough